In response to continuously decreasing flows in the Elwha River, our primary source of drinking water, and in accordance with City Council action taken on September 5, 2023, City Manager Nathan A. West has declared a Stage III Water Shortage. This means that the City’s water supplies are critically impacted and immediate restrictions on outdoor water usage must be implemented.
Effective immediately, the following non-essential water uses are prohibited on all properties connected to the City’s water system, whether located inside or outside of the City:
- Washing sidewalks, walkways, driveways, parking lots, patios, and other exterior paved areas by direct hosing, except as may be necessary to prevent or eliminate materials dangerous to public health and safety.
- Escape of water through breaks or leaks within the customer’s plumbing or private distribution system for any period of time beyond which such break or leak should reasonably have been discovered and corrected. It shall be presumed that a period of 48 hours after the customer discovers a leak or break, or receives notice from the City of such leak or break, whichever occurs first, is a reasonable time in which to correct the same.
- Non-commercial washing of privately owned motor vehicles, trailers, and boats, except from a bucket or hose using a shutoff nozzle for quick rinses.
- Lawn sprinkling and irrigation which allows water to run off or overspray the lawn area. Every customer is deemed to have knowledge of and control over his or her lawn sprinkling and irrigation at all times.
- Sprinkling and irrigation of lawns, ground cover, or other plants, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. or an ODD – EVEN rotation schedule. This means property addresses ending in odd numbers are permitted to sprinkle on odd numbered days, and property addresses ending in even numbers are permitted to sprinkle on even numbered days.
Additional guidance may be provided in the days ahead.
To view the City’s Water Shortage Response as set out in PAMC 13.46, please visit: https://library.municode.com/wa/port_angeles/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT13PUUT_CH13.46WASHRE.
To subscribe to receive email notifications from the City of Port Angeles, including updates on the City’s Water Shortage Response, please visit www.cityofpa.us/NotifyMe.