Return to main  Public Works page.
Public Works: 360-417-4800
Email: 
    
Return to Home Page City Hall lobby hours are 8am until 5pm - Monday through Friday. Services Find it fast!

Our Future Honors Our Past
The City of Port Angeles Carnegie Library Revitalization project dramatically restored a part of the City's rich history.

Located at 207 S. Lincoln St. in Port Angeles, the Carnegie building is a piece of history in itself. Dedicated in 1919, the building has been beautifully restored.

Since 1948, the Clallam County Historical Society has been dedicated to keeping the history of the North Olympic Peninsula alive.

For more information about the Clallam County Historical Society visit: www.clallamhistoricalsociety.com


History
Carnegie Library 1925The first thoughts of a public library came from two local teachers, Professor Tiffany and Miss Pitts in 1897. The idea was then carried forward by a local woman named Mrs. Jesse Webster, a member of the Port Angeles Reading Club.

Please click the photos to view in a larger image size.

Port Angeles Mayor E.J. Walton was also working toward a public library for the City. In 1908 he began informal inquiries with the Carnegie Foundation for funding support. After a long arduous process, a firm commitment for funding was finally received on April 29, 1918 in the amount of $12,500.00 The City contributed $500.00 to the project for a total design and construction budget of $13,000.00.

Looking south up Lincoln StreetOn January 5, 1919, the builder, Mr. Chris Kuppler, opened the doors to the public for the dedication. Mayor Walton presided over the ceremony with glowing descriptions of the building's central space, the expansive upstairs reading room:

"..woodwork finished in golden oak (fir), to match the furniture, the buff tinted walls and beamed ceilings with attractive fireplaces at each end added to the comfortable homey atmosphere."

Port Angeles' Carnegie was one of the last libraries funded by the Carnegie Corporation in the nation. By the time it was built, 37 other Carnegie libraries existed in Washington state alone.

An addition to the library was constructed in 1967 to increase the capacity and floor area. However, by 1998 the community had outgrown the old library and had moved into it's current building on Lauridsen Boulevard.


Restoration
First thoughts of building restoration began in 1994, when the bond measure allocating funds for the new library included a provision for some of the funding to go back to renovating or restoring the old structure. Actual restoration work started in September of 2002, and was completed in June of 2004.

Re-roofing the libraryThe Clallam County Historical Society was also very interested in seeing the building restored. In 1998, they presented a proposal to the City that the building be restored and used as a "Heritage House", a museum to recount local history from the time of Lewis and Clark.

 

The Clallam County Historical Society was instrumental in allowing the building to be fully restored. They worked closely with the City in obtaining all of the grant funds that were eventually used on the project.

Old fashioned photo of mother reading to childRestoration of the structure included fabrication of replicas of all of the original ornamental metal work, including scrolled pediment, pilasters and candelabrums. Original flooring and fire places were refinished and restored on the interior of the building. Hard wood windows were fabricated in the 1918 design.

The building makes a fabulous backdrop for the Clallam County Historical Society. The Historical Society has opened a museum in the space, highlighting County history from the time of Lewis and Clark.

The museum is a great addition to the beautiful historical buildings in Port Angeles. It will increase tourism in the area and encourage greater foot traffic and involvement in our downtown business district.


Environmental Considerations
The City of Port Angeles Carnegie Library Revitalization project was confined to an urban environment. Due to the close proximity to Peabody Creek, silt fencing and other erosion control measures were required to keep silt and debris from reaching the creek.

The contractor also took great care to maintain the original driveway surface behind the building and to regularly sweep the road in front of the project, as the run-off from the road directly enters the Port Angeles harbor. Acid based solvent used to clean the salvaged brick was carefully applied to the exterior facades and then disposed of off site.


Community Relations
Newspaper, radio and public meetings were used to create public support and enthusiasm as well as to help the City complete the project.

A campaign was held during the duration of the project to try to find brick that was fired in a local quarry in 1919 and used in the building construction. The project architect believed that the brick would have been commonly used then and placed in fireplace hearths and other structures locally.

To that end, City staff , a Clallam County Historical Society liason and the project architect were guests on a local radio station to provide information about the historical brick, answer questions, and note concerns about the project. Several articles were also written about the project progress, the future local history museum and efforts to locate the historic brick.

Although the community responded and found some of the historic brick, not enough was found and a small area of new brick was laid in the back of the building. Other donations that were made by the public include one of the beautiful iron candelabrums on the Carnegie's front porch.


Project Completed
At the completion of the project a public ceremony was held honoring the building preservation and museum opening.

The ceremony was attended by Congressman Norm Dicks who helped secure 16% of the project funding through the Save America's Treasures Federal grant.

 


Statistics:

Carnegie Library Revitilization Engineering Staff

Glenn A. Cutler, PE - Director of Public Works and Utilities

Gary W. Kenworthy, PE -Deputy Director of Engineering Services/City Engineer
(Project Engineer)

Terri Partch, EIT -Assistant Civil Engineer
(Project Manager )

Design Firm:
Olympic Design Works
95 Heather Park Road
Port Angeles, WA 98362

General Contractor:
Hoch Construction, Inc.
4201 Tumwater truck Route
Port Angeles, WA 98362

Construction Contract Award: August 5, 2002
Performance Period: 365 Calendar Days
Period Extensions: 288 calendar Days (increased scope)

Construction Complete: June 15, 2004
Construction Cost: $1,850,000


Carnegie Library Wins State & National Awards

APWA Award for Project of the Year - 2005The City of Port Angeles' Carnegie Library Revitalization has been selected by the National American Public Works Association (APWA) as a Public Works Project of the Year for 2005 in the category of Historical Restoration/Preservation - Less Than Two Million.

The City will be awarded a plaque recognizing this very prestigious achievement at the APWA annual Awards Recognition Ceremony in Minneapolis, Minnesota this September.

In addition, the Washington State Chapter of the APWA has chosen the Carnegie Revitalization as a State Public Works Project of the Year for 2005. This achievement will be recognized May 17, 2005 in Seattle at the Public Works Week Luncheon and Awards Presentation.

Wall plaque at Carnegie HallSignificant funding for this award winning project was secured through the efforts of Congressman Norm Dicks with a Save America's Treasures Grant in the amount of $298,000, the Washington State Heritage Grant in the amount of $110,000 and the Ben and Myrtle Walkling Memorial Trust Grant in the amount of $50,000.

The Library's beautiful ornamental work could not have been completed without these generous grants and without the efforts of the Clallam County Historical Society. The Library now houses a fascinating museum highlighting local history which is operated by the Historical Society.

The project would also not have been possible without the dedication to the preservation of the building and it's beautiful historic detail shown by the designer, Stuart Bonney, Olympic Design Works, and the contractor, Rick Hoch, Hoch Construction.

Terri Partch was the City's Project Manager for this project. Please call her at 417-4811 if you have any questions.


Port Angeles Takes Home Two "Excellence in Downtown Revitalization" Awards

Front door of the Carnegie LibraryOLYMPIA- The City of Port Angeles and the Clallam County Historical Society, and Craig Whalley are recognized for undertaking "Outstanding Design Projects". The awards were presented during the 19th Annual Downtown Revitalization Training Institute held April 27-29 in Centralia, and was among nine projects honored.

At the May 3, 2005 City Council meeting, the award was presented to Mark Madsen of the City of Port Angeles and Kathy Monds of the Clallam County Historial Society for the Carnegie Library project.

The City of Port Angeles and the Clallam County Historical Society are recognized for undertaking an "Outstanding Design Project" for the Carnegie Library Building restoration.

"The Carnegie Library building has been returned to the community and will provide future generations an opportunity to experience a beautiful and tangible piece of history, " said Charlie Smith, Port Angeles Downtown Association board member.


~ CONTACT INFO ~

Public Works:

360-417-4800

Email:


Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 am
to 5:00 pm