Attention: Lodging Tax Event Grant Applicants
The 2019 Lodging Tax Event Grant Application is now available for Port Angeles Community events intending to attract visitors from outside the North Olympic Peninsula Region. The application is intended to ensure that the revenue created by the City’s lodging tax is administered in a way that will generate the most benefit to local businesses and lodging facilities.
On August 21st, 2018 the City Council passed a resolution of guided policy for the administration of the Lodging Tax Fund, including the following specific direction for allocation of Event Grants:
- In determining the recipients and amounts of event grants, priority shall be given to events held Mid-October through Mid-May. The Lodging Tax Committee is expected to consider this timeframe relative to the percentage of grants awarded and dollars received.
- For events receiving grants of lodging tax funds, in addition to the funds awarded to support the event, additional funds shall be allocated for City right-of-way, traffic control, and utility expenses in conjunction with events receiving awards.
The policies strive to incentivize and place more emphasis supporting new events, and events occurring outside the peak tourist season (Mid-October through Mid-May). Those events located outside the Mid-May to Mid-October peak tourist season will be given funding priority through the grant scoring criteria. Overall focus for your application is on demonstrating positive lodging impacts. Funding may be used for the marketing and operations of an event. Funding will not be allocated for the purchase of equipment or the improvement of property.
This year all events requiring City services will be asked to participate in a pre-event meeting. Events receiving funding will also have a contractual obligation to contact, inform, and work cooperatively with neighbors and businesses potentially impacted by the event.
Recipients of lodging tax funding for events will be encouraged to link to www.visitportangeles.com on their website; use the “Visit Port Angeles” logo on all apparel reimbursed through the grant; and contractual permission to allow “Visit Port Angeles” representatives and surveyors to speak with guests at the event.
Included in the 2019 Lodging Tax budget is $20,000.00 for city right of way use, traffic control, and utility use. The application cover sheet asks whether your event will need any of these services in its operation. These expenses will now be covered outside the event budget. They are not required as a part of the grant request application. Incorporating estimates of City service need in the application can ensure availability for coverage.
The 2019 Lodging Tax Event Grant Application consists of a cover page delegated to contact information and an application questionnaire. All information must be filled out completely and attachments presented in the order designated on the coversheet, or the application will be deemed incomplete.
The Lodging Tax Advisory Committee will review all applications and provide scoring based on the following criteria:
1) Application completeness and appropriateness for LTAC Event Grant funding. (10 pts.)
2) Event date priority outside Mid-May to Mid-October peak season. (20 pts)
3) Have a proven or high potential to result in overnight stays by tourists from 50 miles away or more in lodging establishments within the City. (30 pts.)
4) Number of individuals attending or anticipated attending from 50 miles or further. (20 pts.)
5) Value of event based on grant request and anticipated local revenue and tax generation (20 pts.)
The Community and Economic Development Department understands that newer events may have trouble answering some of the event related questions in the questionnaire, but asks that the questions be answered to the best of the applicant’s ability.
For general questions, or if any assistance is required to complete the application packet, the applicant can contact:
Benjamin G Braudrick, AICP
Department of Community and Economic Development
The City of Port Angeles