Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator II
Nature of Work:
Under general supervision performs operation and maintenance duties at the wastewater treatment plant and collection system pumping facilities. Duties are varied and require data collection and assimilation for process control decisions and operational change. The incumbent will be required to provide 24 hour emergency response as part of a scheduled on call and weekend shift rotation.
$55,648.32 -$66,447.68 annually. Excellent benefits include longevity pay after completion of 5 years, medical, dental and vision coverage for employee and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, vacation/sick leave accrual, PERS retirement and deferred compensation plans. Employee shares 12.5% of the medical premium. Position is represented by AFSCME Local 1619.
Essential Job Functions:
(Essential job functions are those functions that the individual holding the position must be ale to perform unaided or with the assistance of reasonable accommodation). The following duties are not inclusive of all duties and the incumbent performs other related duties as required.
- Performs daily routine work such as hosing, washing, and scrubbing of tank walls, inlets, screens, flumes, baffles, channels, floors, walls, pumps, or other related equipment relative to wastewater plants and sewer lift stations.
- Records daily operational information regarding electrical consumption, equipment run time, meter readings, totalizer readings, lab analysis data and other information as required. Interprets information for proper operation of the treatment plant.
- Assists in obtaining samples according to established procedures, performs laboratory analysis and provides data acquired from math calculations.
- Maintains daily operation and maintenance records, notes equipment performance, chemical and supply consumption and associated reports. Takes remedial action as necessary in the event of malfunction or failure of any collection or treatment system equipment.
- Operates and maintains mechanical and electrical equipment, calibrates meters, and sensors. Inspects, repairs, and maintains pumps and treatment system equipment at the WWTP and sewer lift stations. Adjusts process control sequences on SCADA controlled programs.
- Assists in the collection of groundwater monitoring samples, landfill leachate collection system maintenance, combined sewer overflow operations, and the plant bio-solids land application program.
- In the absence of other personnel, performs laboratory sampling and testing including chlorine residuals, pH, dissolved oxygen, biochemical oxygen demand, and other related tests.
- Operates and maintains the Wastewater Division tools and vehicles in a safe and efficient manner.
Non Essential Job Functions: None
Work is performed in all weather conditions and is heavy physical labor requiring bending, stooping and lifting of heavy objects. Ability to work in and during inclement weather and in objectionable environments, including confined spaces.
To Apply: Apply online at www.cityofpa.us/jobcenter . Please complete the online application and attach a letter of interest and resume. First review of applications is September 30, 2021. Position is open until filled.
Selection Process: Applicants will be evaluated on the qualifications and related experience. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Completion of wastewater plant operation and maintenance courses from an approved school (such as Ken Kerri California State University approved programs) is required. A Washington State Department of Ecology Level 2 Wastewater Operator’s Certification at the time of hire is required. (An out-of-state certification is acceptable at time of hire, however, a Washington State Department of Ecology certification must be obtained within 6 months of hire date).
Two years work experience in wastewater treatment operations and maintenance is required. Must possess a valid Washington State driver’s license, with an acceptable driving record at time of hire (or within 30 days of hire). Must posses a Class “B” CDL endorsement at time of hire (or ability to obtain within 6 months). Required to have a valid First Aid Card within 6 months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures, wastewater treatment plant maintenance activities, equipment, and materials used in the plant.
- Knowledge of treatment plant operations relative to secondary wastewater treatment, digesters, boilers, and dewatering of bio-solids.
- Skilled use of Wastewater Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (SCADA) and Preventative Maintenance computer programs.
- Knowledge of State, local, and Federal laws relative to the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant.
- Ability to operate and maintain various collection and wastewater system equipment and machinery.
- Ability to perform WWTP maintenance and operation duties.
- Ability to understand and follow departmental rules and regulations.
- Ability to use various computer and software programs.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fraction and percentage calculations in English and metric.
- Ability to communicate with the public, general contractors and vendors effectively and courteously.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees in a teamwork environment.
- Ability to use safe, effective, efficient and economical work practices and habits.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret operation and maintenance manuals, processes and electrical, mechanical and structural drawings. Ability to read, write and understand English at a level necessary for efficient job performance.