Wastewater Treatment Plant Lead Operator
Nature of Work:
Under general supervision, supervises and performs the skilled daily process control and physical operation and maintenance activities relative to the City’s Wastewater Treatment and Collection System pumping facilities. The incumbent will be required to provide 24 hour emergency response as part of a scheduled on call and weekend shift rotation.
$62,639.20 -$74,809.28 annually. Excellent benefits include longevity pay after completion of 5 years, medical, dental and vision coverage for employee and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, vacation/sick leave accrual, PERS retirement and deferred compensation plans. Employee shares 12.5% of the medical premium. Position is represented by AFSCME Local 1619.
Essential Job Functions:
(Essential job functions are those functions that the individual holding the position must be ale to perform unaided or with the assistance of reasonable accommodation). The following duties are not inclusive of all duties and the incumbent performs other related duties as required.
- Supervises and trains employees involved in the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant.
- Assists in the development of a preventative maintenance program for the equipment at the wastewater treatment plant and sewer pump stations.
- Schedules, supervises and performs work related to the preventative maintenance program.
- Assists in the development of the annual operating budget.
- Responds to citizen complaints relative to the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant.
- Conducts tours of the plant for the public.
- Monitors wastewater treatment and solids handling process’s for proper performance. Supervises or performs the necessary process adjustments.
- Schedules, supervises and assists in the installation, repair and maintenance of pumps, conveyors, blowers, chlorinators, filters, bar screens, and other equipment.
- In the absence of the Superintendent, supervises the Laboratory Technician position and maintenance of the laboratory test equipment to ensure proper working order.
- In the absence of other personnel, performs laboratory sampling and testing including chlorine residuals, pH, dissolved oxygen, biochemical oxygen demand, and other related tests.
- Supervises and performs maintenance of grounds, buildings, and equipment at the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Performs activities, reads instruments, and maintains records and reports relative to compliance with State and Federal discharge permits.
- Operates and maintains mechanical and electrical equipment, calibrates meters, and sensors. Inspects and maintains collection and treatment system equipment. Adjusts process control sequences on SCADA programs.
Non Essential Job Functions: None
To Apply: Apply online at www.cityofpa.us. Please complete the online application and attach a letter of interest and resume. First review of applications is September 29, 2021. Position is open until filled.
Selection Process: Applicants will be evaluated on the qualifications and related experience. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Human Resources Office
321 E. 5th St.
Port Angeles, WA 98362
(360)417-4508 - firstname.lastname@example.org - www.cityofpa.us
Work is performed in all weather conditions and is heavy physical labor requiring bending, stooping and lifting of heavy objects. Ability to work in and during inclement weather and in objectionable environments, including confined spaces.
Completion of wastewater plant operation and maintenance courses from an approved school (such as Ken Kerri California State University approved program) is required. A Washington State Department of Ecology Level 3 Wastewater Operator’s Certification at the time of hire is required. (An out-of-state certification is acceptable at time of hire, however, a Washington State Department of Ecology certification must be obtained within 6 months of hire date).
Five years of progressively responsible work experience as a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator is required. Must possess valid Washington State driver’s license at the time of hire (or within 30 days) and CDL class “A” endorsement at time of hire (or within 18 months). Must have a driving record acceptable to the City’s risk manager. Must have a valid First Aid Card within 6 months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Washington State Laws relating to Public Works and local, State and Federal laws related to the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment plant.
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures, wastewater treatment plant maintenance activities, equipment, and materials used in the plant.
- Skilled use of Wastewater Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (SCADA) and Preventative Maintenance programs.
- Knowledge of treatment plant operations relative to secondary wastewater treatment, digesters, boilers, and bio-solids handling.
- Supervisory skills and ability to provide training as needed to entry-level Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator.
- Ability to operate the various wastewater treatment plant equipment and machinery, and perform operation and maintenance requirements relative to the treatment plant and collection system.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and the general public.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret Public Works Operation and Maintenance manuals, processes, and electrical, mechanical and structural drawings.
- Ability to deal with the public and general contractors and suppliers courteously and tactfully.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fraction and percentage calculations in English and metric. Ability to communicate, read, write, and understand English at a level necessary for efficient job performance.