In February 1891, the Port Angeles Fire Department originated as the Gate City Fire Company No. 1. The original 23 moustache toting smoke eaters provided fire protection for the City of Port Angeles on an all volunteer basis until January 1893 when they requested compensation of $3 for fires, $1 for alarms, and $.50 for practice. The compensation was for the department rather than the individual.
The Gate City Fire Department had a horse-drawn hook and ladder and a double chemical tank on wheels. On September 23, 1926, the City purchased its first motorized pumper (American LaFrance 1,000 gpm). This apparatus is on display at the Port Angeles Fire Department.
Double click on any of these photos to view a larger version.
General Hospital Fire in 1916.
taken after the department had fought the fire at the General Hospital. The fire truck in this picture is on display at the Fire Station, having been gifted to the City by Dr. Harlan McNutt.
Circa 1954, in front of the brand new fire station. The third truck from the left is used today as the Sparky Truck.